The Corporate Blog – About Laura Kerbyson
For the personal blog, go to the Journal.
Computer Graphics + Graphic Design/in Journal, News /by admin
The field of Computer Graphics is a specialization of Computer Science. When you combine it with Graphic Design and Photography, it can make for a powerful combination. A lot of what I am working on these days is applying Artificial Intelligence to images for advertising and branding.
Let’s look at some before and afters –
Before – Problems: Model looks too young. Shot now needs to run in Fall. Humidity during shoot flattened models hair.
After – Model looks older, heavier makeup, body in the hair plus curls, background replaced.
Before – This is just a simple change of scene. This is a nice shot that was photographed in Palm Beach. However, it needs to run in Fall.
Using Artificial Intelligence can yield these better results. I’ve done it on thousands of photos.
Before – Problems: Too young, flat hair.
After – Fit for Advertising. This is for an SMS campaign.
Behind the Scenes Video/in Journal, News /by admin
As promised, here’s a behind the scenes video. I hope you enjoy the fun facts behind Shoot 1 and the behind the scenes look.
- The hardest thing to photograph in the world is jewelry.
- We introduced our bride and groom Hugh and Kelly 60 seconds before we started the shoot and the role they had to play was as a couple in love.
- Hugh had never modeled before. His background was as a VP of Marketing, and he owns his own consulting business. Hugh is 6’6”. I selected Hugh out of a friends contact list to pair with Andrea who is very tall as is Julie.
- The bridal dress was ordered for Andrea. I thought height wise, Hugh and Andrea would look good photographed together. I ordered a size 10 for Andrea. When the dress arrived a few days before the shoot, it’s about a size 4. I’m a size 4 and I weigh 110 lbs. I put it on and it fit me perfectly. I snapped a photo of me in the dress and sent to my team with a message, “We have a problem…” We put out an emergency call for anyone who had a good-looking blonde friend who wears a size four. We got Kelly, who’s a real estate agent and marketing professional. She was delightful to work with.
- Hugh forgot his pants and tie the day of the shoot. He left in a hurry right before the start of the shoot to get the tie. I said I didn’t need the pants because Kelly is about 5’4” so for all the shots with the two of them, I needed to have them seated.
- The tourists were fascinated by the shoot. One called Hugh’s look without pants, “very European.”
- Some of the clothes on the models are from my closet.
- No one on my crew had ever done a shoot like this before. I did them for many years in Palm Beach for luxury brands. One year, I had six back covers of magazines or double page spreads as well as the website and advertising for the brands. So, I had to train an entire team and crew. We 244 pieces of jewelry in one day. The inventory of Palm Beach Jewelry is very extensive and will require many shoots.
- The editing and postproduction work took months. Before I went back into the business world in 2011 in marketing and computer science, I was a dual computer science and design professor and department chair. I used Artificial Intelligence algorithms to achieve some of the looks for the models. The videos have nothing applied to them. The photos have been edited.
- Update – Since Shoot 1, we did Shoot 2. We put a new web site into place plus a new Amazon store. Anna Kim moved on in her career and we wish her the absolute best. We hired Maria Kerrigan recently who works under me as a graphic designer. She worked with me on Shoot 2, which you’ll see in future work.
- We just hired Don Gatehouse as our studio photographer. Don has been the photographer for names such as Mikasa, KitchenAid, Farberware, Cuisinart, Pfaltzgraff Martha Stewart, Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay, Bombay, Hoffritz and many more.
- On Shoot 1 we had former Miss New Jersey, Miss California, Miss USA and first-runner-up for Miss Universe.
- It was a pleasure to work with everyone on the team. Thanks for joining us behind the scenes.
As promised, here’s the behind the scenes look from Shoot 1 at PalmBeach Jewelry in the first steps of repositioning a brand. I hope you enjoy it and everything that goes into creating the magic.
#laurakerbyson #palmbeachjewelry #juliehayek #jewelry #fashionjewelry #photography #computerscience #design #photoshoot #branding #website #amazon #missnewjersey #missusa #misscalifornia #missuniverse
New Amazon Store
The New Site Has Launched/in Journal, News /by admin
Enjoy! Graphics change frequently…I had fun with the photo shoots, picture editing, graphics and code. We have a full team.
This was that SaaS server with a different platform I mentioned.
I know I owe you an update…here it is for now/in News /by admin
I know it’s been a long time since I’ve posted an update.
I have been working very hard as I try to rebrand and reposition a company that will take well over a year to do.
We are probably 2-4 weeks away from a new web site launch that has been a team effort. This is a Saas platform but I’ve done my usual, interface design (UI/UX), a lot of hand coding, shooting pictures, editing pictures, making graphics, managing the photo and graphics staff under me, etc. etc. I brought in the models and did all the logistics for the shoots as well as select the outfits and jewelry. This platform is not my favorite because it’s missing a lot of core features but we’re making it work. It was chosen before I was brought in. Many of you realize my computer science and IT backgrounds as well as design.
I spent 3 years in high jewelry on Worth Avenue and this time the client is in fashion jewelry but same concepts.
I will get new photos up to show soon but here are a few I shot and the rest I served as the editor. Keep in mind we probably shot about 10,000 photos. You’ll have to wait to see the web site. We’re in the final push now.
I shot these….
And I edited, directed and styled these…
And then I take photos like this and make them into banners, and then into web pages and into sites….
I can say, I don’t think I’ve had a social life since I started all this. I am hoping after launch to change that.
As for me, my business and look may be powered by computer science and design but fundamentally it is about style. I bought these earrings from England and their mistake as jewelry designer was to make them post earrings. I converted them to dangle earrings. Here’s a closeup and here’s the look. This were taken in February at the Versace mansion in Miami.
And we got the best table in the house that evening. And the funny thing is that red is my least favorite color. I hate it.
In other news, I was quoted again yesterday by Fast Company about ways to grow a small business or local startup. You can read it here:
15 Ideas to Boost Your Recognition in the Marketplace –
I am currently serving on the board for Fast Company. I haven’t had much involvement since I took on this major project but they will be quoting me throughout the year.
The year could not be ending on a better note…/in Journal, News /by admin
I am grateful for the blessings that have come my way recently. Honestly, the year could not be ending on a better note. 2022 is poised to be one of the best year’s yet and I am looking forward to all the excitement and good things that January will bring.
I want to spend January getting things underway before I tell you what I’ve been working on. This is something that is exciting and honestly, great fun for me.
On a personal note, I look forward to finishing out the year in a beach house with my Mom and her puppy Dylan. I don’t have the proper time for a dog but I sure do love to love on other people’s pets and children.
Nick is spending time with family as well but he’ll be back in town in January and has promised to take me out to celebrate my good news that I will share with you later.
It’s going to be a fantastic 2022! Happy Holidays to you and your family. May 2022 also be spectacular for you as well.
Super excited…/in Journal, News /by admin
I am super excited about the work I am going to be doing beginning right after New Year’s.
I’ll give you more details later. But I can tell you that this is an incredible fit with my name written all over it and it’s with a great bunch of people. It’s a company to be admired as they are the world’s largest in what they do. And if you love some of the things you’ve seen here, you will love this.
And it specifically draws on my creative abilities.
I can’t wipe the smile off of my face. It’s a fantastic opportunity. It’s a great way to start 2022.
I know some people thought I was going to go a different direction and pick up different work and I thought that too and then magically this appeared and it changed the game. I could never say no to this.
I am so incredibly happy about this.
MSN News picked up the last article I wrote…/in Journal, News /by admin
Check it now. My last article has now been pushed on MSN News.
It was also picked up by:
11/9/21 Newsbreak – Why graphics technology could be costing your company millions
11/9/21 – Opera News – Why graphics technology could be costing your company millions
Why Your Choice of Graphics Technology Could Be Costing Your Company Millions $$$/in Journal, News /by admin
I hope you enjoy my new solo article that now appears on Fast Company about why your choice of graphics technology could be costing your company millions of dollars. I explain a few Computer Graphics basics that really add up.
#websites #facebookadvertising #emailmarketing #graphicstechnology #computerscience #cgi #cg #computergraphics #fastcompany #laurakerbyson #photoshop
One of my favorite interviews…/in Journal, News /by admin
This is one of my favorite interviews about which companies have the greatest mantra for diversity and inclusion. They asked me who I would recommend and why. Without hesitation, I would recommend Hard Rock International from my previous work with them. They were one of my favorite employers. They truly get it.
#MistyLarkins #MatthewWool #VivekaVonRosen