Still in the hospital at JFK

27 Apr

I am still in the hospital at JFK. This week has been much harder than I ever would have guessed.

I was battling what I thought was a sinus infection for weeks. Finally, I called and had a telemed appointment and got a prescription for an antibiotic because this wasn’t getting any better. I had a huge headache and chest congestion from the sinus. I woke up with my blood pressure so high I could hear it in my ears and I thought it was the penicillin.

After the round of antibiotics. I still had a huge headache and chest pressure. So my doctor sent me for a COVID test. It was negative. But the nurse had put a blood pressure cuff on me and it was high. She warned me that any increase or pain I should go to the ER.

I mentioned it to a friend. He dropped off a blood pressure cuff and it came with an app for iphone that would track my readings and interpret them.

Saturday was the first day I had it on. It consistently registered blood pressure between 195 and 202 all day and everyone had a warning – Hypertensive Crisis. I called the doctor on call and was given a prescription for blood pressure medicine. I took it Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Sunday I decided to find out if I could bring it down. I stayed in bed all day. I was able to get it down a little bit. But then that intense headache got really bad and the first time I heard a crackle or two it began to scare me. So I went to the ER around something like 4 p.m.. They put a Nitroglycerin patch on. We started tests. I waited for hours to see if it would bring it down. It didn’t. After a while it went up. Then they brought in blood pressure medicine.

They told me they were admitting me to the hospital. About 1 a.m. I was given a room and moved upstairs. We took a reading and it was not as high as earlier in the ER – the top number had come down to 166. I decided to try to sleep. At 3 a.m. I woke up knowing something was really wrong. I felt like I was going to throw up and my legs from the knees down felt really funny. Because I was going to throw up, I tried to get up and go to the bathroom in the room. I was up about a second when I totally collapsed and fell. The team of the floor came running in. I was trying to tell them I couldn’t see. I couldn’t hear and my throat was closing up. My reading this time had bottom out at something like a 50. My heart wasn’t pumping blood and things were beginning to shut down. I broke out in a cold sweat and was in shock. The administered the medicine that gets your heart going again and puts the blood pressure back up. We took the Nitro patch off in case the dose had been too high or on too long. But you would think that if the Nitro patch was lowering it, it would have done it between the hours of 4 p.m. and 1 a.m.

After I stabilized, I realized I was becoming a yo-yo with this blood pressure as they sent off for an emergency cat scan at 3 in the morning.

Long story short, they aren’t letting me go home until we can stabilize this and bring it down. I am hoping that might be tomorrow. They are still looking for the reason for all of this. Some tests take time to come back but some we know already. Yes, my body was in really good shape and with a good diet. This is not from a blockage, we know that already. But they’ve already warned me they don’t always find the reason but this stuff doesn’t happen for no reason so there is reason. That’s all I really know. I know that you have to get high blood pressure under control or you do serious damage to your body. I’m aware of that. My BMI index is exactly where it’s supposed to be. I’m not diabetic. I don’t have high cholesterol. I work out. I eat right. Three months ago I had physical where there was literally nothing that wasn’t where it was supposed to be.

This headache is absolutely tied to the blood pressure. When it crashed, the headache went away. Shortly after it came back as that blood pressure is now high again.

I will let you know when I get out of the hospital. I am hoping tonight is a better night than last night. There’s not much I can do about this.

Did you know these hospital beds flip completely upside down? They flipped me last night to get all the blood to rush to my brain so there wouldn’t be damage in the crisis we were having. I did not know they could that. The work the response team did on me was quick and fast and they knew what they were doing. If this had happened at home, I wouldn’t be here today. I know that for sure.

Stay safe and be well my friends.

  • Share/Bookmark
Comments Off

Posted in News


Comments are closed.